Showing posts with label Mike Weir. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Mike Weir. Show all posts

Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Westminster Fails Scotland Again on Energy - as Labour and Tories Gang Up

Commenting on the debate in the House of Commons today on the Lords amendment to the Energy bill - and in particular Amendment 54 which removed the Scottish parliament’s powers in respect of renewables obligation in Scotland, SNP Energy spokesman Mike Weir said :

“This is an outrageous example of the unionist parties ganging up to remove powers from the Scottish parliament . Worse still they did so by introducing last–minute amendments in the un-elected House of Lords, rather than even having the courage to debate it on the floor of the House of Commons.

“There was no consultation with the Scottish Government or the Scottish Parliament prior to the introduction of this amendment, nor when challenged in the Commons did the minister or his Labour front bench counterpart have any reasonable explanation as to why this happened in such an underhand manner.

“This is yet another example of Tories and Labour ganging up at Westminster against Scotland’s interests and removing powers from Scotland. Whilst the NO campaign talk about vague promises of more powers if people vote NO, the reality is they are removing Scotland’s existing powers by stealth.

“The only way it can be stopped is with a YES vote next September.”

Sunday, 6 October 2013

Q's for Lamont on Royal Mail Renationalisation

SNP MP Mike Weir has written to Johann Lamont asking her to say whether or not she backs the renationalisation of the Royal Mail.

The membership of the Labour party endorsed renationalisation of the Royal Mail, in the event privatisation cannot be halted, at their party conference over a week ago.

UK Labour party business spokesman Chuka Umunna has said he would not promise to renationalise Royal Mail in the event of a Labour government.

While her UK bosses have stated their position, Ms Lamont has remained silent on the issue – as she has notably done on so many other issues. Commenting, Mike Weir MP said:

"As Labour leader in Scotland, Johann Lamont must tell the people of Scotland whether or not she backs the renationalisation of the Royal Mail.

“Does she support a publicly owned postal service and will she support the views of her party membership.

"The rank and file delegates at the Labour party conference in Brighton called for the return of the Royal Mail to public ownership in the event of privatisation, the CWU want to see the Royal Mail in public hands, does Johann Lamont agree with the CWU and with her own delegates?

"And does she agree with the SNP and Scottish Government that there must be a moratorium to stop this rushed Westminster sell-off?

"We have promised to take Royal Mail back into public ownership in an independent Scotland in the event the Tories go ahead with their plans.

"Will Johann Lamont match our commitment or will she once again be pulled into line by her London bosses?"

Sunday, 4 November 2012

Westminster Must Act Swiftly on CCS Projects

News that the amount of power expected to be generated from gas by 2030 has quadrupled in the last year highlights why it is more important than ever to invest in carbon capture projects.

A report in today's Observer [Sunday] also shows that less than a tenth of the gas power is projected to have carbon capture and storage technology fitted to trap and bury carbon dioxide emissions.

Commenting, SNP Westminster Energy spokesperson Mike Weir MP said:

"The fact that the amount of power expected to be generated from gas by 2030 has quadrupled in the last year highlights that it is more important than ever to invest in carbon capture projects.

"The report worryingly points out that less than a tenth of gas power is projected to have CCS technology fitted - which is why the UK government must act swiftly to change this.

"Building a greener future is central to our success and the promise of CCS incentives is welcome but enough time has already been wasted.

"This week it was confirmed two Scottish projects at Peterhead and Grangemouth made it through to the shortlist of CCS projects which will now be considered for financial support.

“Scotland has the biggest CO2 storage capacity in Europe and getting this technology right can bring huge investment and many jobs to Scotland, but to get there it is essential that these projects are supported in their early days."

Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Citizens Advice Support for Off-Grid Energy Bill

A Private Member’s Bill which would help off-grid pensioner households beat soaring winter energy costs has received a major endorsement from the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

The bill, which receives its second reading on 7 September, would bring forward payment of winter fuel allowance to pensioners, whose homes are not on the gas grid, to allow them to fill up their tanks before the onset of winter when prices tend to be cheaper and also to avoid delivery difficulties in adverse winter conditions.

Adding their support for the bill, a spokesperson for CAB said:

"Citizens Advice supports the aims of this Bill. People who are not connected to the gas grid, and therefore rely on heating oil or LPG to keep their homes warm in the winter have to pay for their fuel in bulk and up front.

"Our evidence shows that people on low incomes, including the elderly, can find it very difficult, or in some cases impossible, to afford to fill up their tanks ahead of winter. As Professor Hills' Fuel Poverty Review acknowledged, cold homes can have a devastating impact on the health and well-being of those in fuel poverty.

"Receiving the Winter Fuel Payment early would help those pensioners who live in off-grid homes to top up their tank and keep warm and healthy through the winter.


The SNP MP behind the bill, Mike Weir, welcomed CAB’s endorsement. The proposal has already secured cross-party support – with Tory, Liberal Democrat, Labour, Plaid Cymru, Democratic Unionist and SDLP MPs listed as supporters.

Mr Weir said:

“As the leading provider of independent and impartial advice, the support of Citizens Advice for this bill is a major boost. The cross-party and cross country backing for this bill shows that there is widespread support for action to help fuel poor pensioners whose homes are not connected to the mains gas grid. This is as much a problem in Cornwall as it is in Caithness.

“There is clear evidence that the price of home fuel oil rises rapidly from October through the winter until it begins to fall again in the spring. At present winter fuel allowances are paid out in December, which tends to be when prices are high. For those who pay quarterly energy bills this is less of a problem but for those who have to pay upfront to have their tanks filled it means that they have to pay out to fill their tanks for the winter before they get the money.

“My bill would provide a simple change that means that pensioners could receive their winter fuel allowance earlier to allow the tank to be fully filled prior to the usual winter price rises. It would give such households the comfort of knowing that they would be going into the winter with a full tank.

“It would also mean that, if we experience very bad weather, as happened two years ago, they would not face the difficulties that can occur with deliveries of fresh supplies. In my constituency, for example, many off grid consumers could not get supplies delivered through the heavy snow.

“The heating oil market is subject to sudden and very high price spikes and there is real concern amongst consumers that there is very little competition in the market, leaving them effectively with no option but to pay up.

“Off-grid users are the only customers not to have access to reduced tariffs and a large number of the rural fuel poor are unable to get help with heating bills at all. It is vital that this situation is addressed, and action taken to introduce robust regulation to protect consumers.

“The changes proposed in this bill do not tackle all the problems faced by off-grid customers, but the action I am proposing would deliver practical and significant support to a particularly vulnerable group who deserve help.”

Sunday, 29 April 2012

Monday Stamp Hike Will Price Small Businesses Out Of First Class Market


BLOW FOR BUSINESSES AND THREAT TO UNIVERSAL SERVICE OBLIGATION

Speaking ahead of the sharp increase in the price of first-class stamps which comes into force on Monday - from 46p to 60p – SNP Postal Affairs spokesperson Mike Weir MP warned that the increase would price small businesses out of the first class market.

The increase comes as Ofcom suggest there should be no cap on prices for the vast majority of Royal Mail’s services, including business post, bulk mail, and large letters and parcels sent second class.

Mr Weir said:

“This is a ludicrous increase at a time when small businesses are under pressure from ever increasing costs and a lack of access to lending from the banks. The result of this inflation busting hike will price small businesses out of the first class market.

“Effectively, the USO will now be restricted to second class postage for small businesses. Ofcom and the UK Government have given no thought to the stresses on small business in agreeing to this increase. Far from being all in this together, small businesses have been thrown to the wolves.

“A further fear is that this increase could result in a downward spiral, with less people sending letters, and in turn leading to even higher prices.

“The situation could get worse, with Ofcom proposals to allow Royal Mail to charge whatever it wanted for first class services while the cost of second-class postage could rise by more than 50 per cent.

“Under their proposals Ofcom are to define the universal service as the current second class service, and even there the price is to rise substantially.

“Large businesses who send a lot of mail will never pay the full first class price but will always be able to get a better deal or bulk discount from Royal Mail. They would also have the option of doing a deal with one of the alternative private providers.

“These options are not available to our small businesses. They rely on Royal Mail’s service to be able to deliver letters and small packages around the country. They could be priced out of the market risking their very survival.

“This increase may well be a sign of things to come, and we need action by the UK Government to protect our postal services.”

Saturday, 21 April 2012

Hidden Subsidies Show UK Energy Policy In Tatters


SCOTLAND’S NO-NUCLEAR APPROACH WINNING INVESTMENT

SNP MP Mike Weir says the UK Government’s energy policy is in tatters after a leaked document revealed plans to subsidise nuclear through electricity bills.

Following the news, Centrica, the only UK company in the running to build a new generation of nuclear plants, has threatened to pull out.

Mr Weir, SNP Westminster Energy and Climate Challenge spokesman, said:

“The UK Government’s nuclear policy is in tatters, with leaked documents revealing electricity customers will foot the bill for nuclear power despite previous promises this would not happen.

“Not only does this show the Tory-Lib Dem coalition cannot be trusted on energy policy, it is also highly embarrassing for the Lib Dems who fought the general election firmly opposed to the expansion of nuclear power.

“Centrica, the only UK company in the running to help build new nuclear plants, is now threatening to pull the plug. This is simply a disaster for David Cameron.

“Nuclear power is simply not the answer to our energy needs. While Centrica threatens to pull out, Scotland’s approach continues to win investment and create thousands of jobs.

“Renewable energy is the way forward to provide a clean green future and true energy security.

“The SNP Government has firmly rejected nuclear and instead has set a 100 per cent renewable target for Scotland's own electricity use by 2020.

“The Tory-Lib Dem coalition must abandon its pursuit of an expensive, unsustainable and shambolic nuclear policy.

“Instead it should follow the lead of the Scottish Government transferring to a low carbon economy, which will benefit the environment, create jobs and lower household bills.”

Monday, 9 April 2012

Call For End To Whitehall Subsidies - Jobs Must Be Dispersed Across The UK


£116m WASTED EACH YEAR ON LONDON WEIGHTING ALLOWANCES

The SNP has called on the Westminster Government to disperse civil service jobs across the whole of the UK rather than press ahead with damaging plans for regional pay disparities.

An excess of £116 million is spent each year by Whitehall on London weighting and London living allowance for staff.

The SNP’s Business and Enterprise spokesperson, Mike Weir MP, said substantial savings could be made from this bill by the decentralisation of government jobs, which would also would boost struggling economies across the UK.

Mr Weir said:

“The government’s plans to introduce regional pay disparities is a wrong-footed move which will further entrench the imbalance in jobs and investment towards the south east.

“The two-tier system it would create would penalise civil servants across the land who will see their salaries cut while jobs are effectively subsidised in London.

“Rather than taking more cash from the pockets of hard pressed public servants, some of the £116 million used to subsidise London living could be recouped by redistributing jobs where they are needed most.

“The extra costs incurred for London living are staggering – the Department for Work and Pensions alone picks up an additional bill of £45 million, while the only relocation over the last year has been from Northamptonshire to London.

“And in defence we see almost £11 million spent annually on London weighting and living allowances for staff, while Scotland has seen over 10,500 defence jobs lost since the last strategic defence review.

“By moving jobs out of London, rather than cutting salaries outside London, we can boost local economies, help build a fairer society and make savings at the same time.

“The UK government should call a halt to regional pay differences and explore instead how government jobs could be better spread across the UK.”

Sunday, 12 February 2012

LibDems Challenged On Votes At 16


DEPUTY PM’S PPS TO HOST ‘VOTES AT 16 CAMPAIGN COALITION’

The Liberal Democrats have been challenged to say whether they support votes for 16 and 17 year-olds in the referendum over Scotland’s constitutional future after it emerged that the Deputy Prime Minister’s PPS Jo Swinson MP is set to host a meeting of the Votes at 16 Campaign Coalition in Westminster.

While the UK Government has signalled it doesn’t want 16 and 17 year olds voting on Scotland’s future as they tried to dictate the terms of Scotland’s referendum, Ms Swinson says she will ‘bring together young people, organisations and parliamentarians to discuss the Votes at 16 campaign, including plans for a week of action’, on 27 February.

Labour and Lib Dem MPs and MSPs including the Leader of the Lib Dems Nick Clegg, the Deputy leaders of both parties in Scotland and the Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran have given their support to the Votes at 16 campaign and the Lib Dems, who voted with the SNP to introduce votes at 16 in Scotland’s health board elections, promised to lower the voting age in their 2010 manifesto.

Commenting, SNP MP Mike Weir said:

“It is time the LibDems were honest about where they stand on votes for 16 and 17 year-olds. Is this one of those policies, like tuition fees, where the LibDems say one thing and do the other. Indeed, the LibDems have already let young people down once, will they do it again?

“16 and 17 year olds already play a part in our society. They should be able to have their say over Scotland’s future.

“Attaching strings to Scotland’s referendum is simply not acceptable. The referendum should be decided by the Scottish people and the Scottish parliament.

“It is ridiculous that politicians who say they support 16 and 17 year olds having a vote in elections would not support them voting in a referendum.

"And of course Lib Dems in Scotland have already backed votes for 16 and 17 year olds as part of elections to health boards.

“Penalising those 16 and 17 year olds who will be looking to the future of their country in an attempt to attack the SNP is just another sign of how badly the Tories, Lib Dems and now Labour are misreading the Scottish people.

“It is grossly unfair those aged 16 and 17 are able to play a major part in our society, to pay taxes, join the armed forces, consent to marriage but under UK Government plans will not be barred from making democratic decisions about their own future.

“All parties have accepted that the SNP has the right and mandate to hold a referendum on Scottish Independence. The LibDems and Labour members have accepted that 16 and 17 year olds should be given the vote. They should reaffirm their position, stop equivocating and ensure 16 and 17 year olds are able to vote.”
This web site documents the activities of
Banffshire & Buchan Coast SNP.
There is no charge to the public purse
arising from the publishing of this site.
As publishers we do not gather, or
retain any cookie data but blogger.com may do.
fios ZS is a name registered in Scotland for Stewart Stevenson
In relation to the 2021 General Election,
material from Karen Adam is:

Promoted by Ricky Taylor on behalf of Karen Adam,
both of Banffshire and Buchan Coast SNP,
Freepost RTHU-YRAH-HGEG, Peterhead AB42 2BL

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP